27 December 2007

Un Natale Freddo!

We spent a very nice Christmas with family in Michigan, but were greeted with typical midwestern weather for this time of year. Temps in the 50s on the first day (so warm that I was able to help out cleaning gutters - hooray!) to temps in the teens and below zero with windchill. It was so windy that some areas recorded wind gusts in the 70-80 mph range!

Did that stop my father from grilling chicken? Nope. We had a great time grilling between gusts of wind, and watching the grill temperature drop from 400 to 200 degrees in less than a minute. In the end though - we had very good grilled, barbecued Christmas chicken. Hilarious!

Other culinary highlights of the trip included a trip to Asuka (used to be called the Rice House) in Battle Creek, MI where I had salmon, squid, and tuna sushi, as well as a selection of Kimchie and pickled turnips. My wife had beef fried rice, and my mother had a spicy chicken dish. All were quite good!

We had some Chesapeake-style shrimp, as well and a Christmas morning meal of baked chicken, spinach fettucine, and a baby salad mix. I love these impromptu meals on visits home.

As for the panforte, biscotti, and my wife's wonderful Christmas baked goods - well, there were plenty of other baked goods around and I think some got lost in the shuffle. Not to worry though - reports came in later that all were enjoyed.

We'll be taking round 2 of the baked goods to my wife's family for Christmas -- can't wait!

-C

No comments: