20 July 2008

Pane, Pane, Pane....


Two very exciting, bread-related things happened recently (if one can consider anything bread-related to actually BE exciting). First, I procured my first bread-maker at a local garage sale. I know what you're thinking, because I've already thought it. "Aren't bread makers kind of like the Nordic Trac of the culinary world? In other words, you buy one, use it 2-3 times, then forget about it?" Well, perhaps that is true. But in my estimation, 2-3 uses for $5 isn't a bad return, and since I tend to use most of my kitchen gear pretty frequently, and since I have a wife who LOVES bread, I am thinking it might be used even more often. We'll see.

The 2nd exciting bread-related thing? I had my first go at zucchini bread. Zucchini are in-season with gusto right now, and gi-normous zucchini can be had for $0.75 or less (each!) these days at the local farmers markets. Needless to say, we've been having zucchini a million ways lately (sauteed, in pasta, breaded and baked, and now in bread) and loving it. I used some interesting ingredients and substitutions, and it turned out pretty well. La ricetta:

Pane alle zucchine
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups shredded zucchini (skin-on)
canola oil cooking spray

Pre-heat oven to 350F.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through baking soda) in a large bowl.

Combine eggs, and next 3 ingredients (through vanilla) in a large bowl, add sugar, and stir just until combined. Add zucchini, stir until well combined. Add flour mixture and stir just until combined.

Divide batter evenly between 2 (8x4 inch) loaf pans coated with the canola oil cooking spray. Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until a wooden pick in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack, then remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.

Makes 2 loaves, about 12 servings per loaf, for 150 calories per serving.

I adapted this recipe from Cooking Light magazine; the original recipe had 1/2 cup of egg substitute in place of 2 of the large eggs, 1 tsp grated lemon rind in place of the lemon extract, and 1/4 cup of coarsely chopped walnuts as well. Most of the substitutions took place because I didn't have all of the ingredients, so I'm sure making it as they presented would have resulted in a nice loaf as well. As it is , these are quite delicious, though lemony (which is fine by me), and will struggle to make it through the middle of the week without being eaten, I'm sure!

I'll keep you all posted on the first bread-machine event as it happens. Buon week-end, tutti!

-C

No comments: