03 March 2008

Un Podere, e Altre Cose


It's the heart of the semester, and as such the cooking has been limited to the tried and tested. I don't know if it's possible to become tired of the balsamic / fruit / nut in salad combination - but we're giving it a go. We've been having that a lot (with nuts candied "in cucina" I might add), along with various chicken dishes. In fact, last night I tried the chicken started with the Cucina Viola secret sautee starter, then added some red curry in combination with cinnamon, paprika, and red chile. It wasn't too bad.

It's been a while since I've made any entries, but I thought an interesting find that I recently made was a worthy enough reason to add some more materials here. Locally, we have Stratford Ecological Center, which is an educational center dedicated to bringing us closer to the food that we eat. They are chock-full of great programs, and I plan to take advantage of them with the upcoming growing season (I want to try herbs as well as a few veg of my own), and hopefully we can take the Bambina and have her enjoy nature (and if she learns a bit later on, great)!

Another interesting happening of late was a visit to what I now call the pinnacle of restaurants in Columbus, The Banana Bean Cafe. They call themselves "Floribbean" in theme, and as you can imagine there are spicy, fruity delights galore. I had the Islamorada fish tacos, which literally were the best thing I've eaten locally. Certainly there are other great Columbus restaurants (too many to name in fact!), but the food here was fantastic. Click HERE for a link to their website, and HERE for a link to another blogger's fantastic review.

Not much else is new --- the best thing cooking right now is the Bambina, so updates will occur as needed.

-C

No comments: